GRINDLEFORD PARISH COUNCIL – MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 13 APRIL
2023 AT 7 PM IN THE PAVILION
Present: Robert Wilson, Chair; John Morton, Elizabeth Coe, Hilary Hart, Andrew Battarbee, Ray
Whiteley, Rob Tamlyn, Peter O’Brien. Sarah Battarbee Clerk
1. COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT – Cllr Sutton offered to send the parish council the
DCC pothole update, and to come out for a site visit to look at potholes in daylight. It was
agreed the current method of filling potholes did not provide a permanent fix. HH reported
she has been speaking to Open Reach about the holes in New Road, and Cllr Sutton agreed
to see if he could help. Cllr O’Brien reported a broken manhole cover outside Andrew
Lawton’s house. Cllr Sutton agreed to take the flooding at Quarry Corner up with DCC.
The tree stump which is dangerously close to the road edge after the winter storms has been
reported by Cllr O’Brien.
2. DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT – PO’B reported that the leader of DDDC has
resigned. Discussions on glyphosate were deferred until July but will be brought back to a
future meeting with the same proposal. Objections will need to be sent again.
3. POLICE REPORT – PC Boswell brought along his colleague PC Jenkins. He reported there
has been no crime in Grindleford but bikes and especially ebikes have been targeted
4. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING. These were agreed as a true record, Pro RT sec JM.
5. MATTERS ARISING:
New Editors for the Grindleford News – there was discussion about an on-line editorship
might work, now superseded as a new volunteer editor has stepped up.
Coronation. It was suggested that the £100 funding should be used to buy a photograph of
Emergency bleed kits. These cost £105. RW to ask GPFA, if the Council buys it would
they keep it next to the defibrillator.
Defibrillator. This is now bought, awaiting notification of our share so that we can pay it.
Padley Hill turning – Clerk has written and received a disappointing reply from Place at
FLOODING – STANDING ITEM
Awaiting a presentation at the May meeting on a proposed way forward
6. CLIMATE CHANGE EMERGENCY DECLARATION – STANDING ITEM
Clerk attended an informal group of DALC chief officer, DDDC climate officer, HVCA
trustee, and a rep from Derbyshire Wildlife Trust. Clerk requested funding to attend the
Carbon Literacy Trust course for parish councils. Abney village are considering generating
all their own power although their circumstances are different to Grindleford’s.
7. HIGHWAY MATTERS
Puddle outside Old Post Office. The channel dug by residents is working for now but will
need a bigger pipe idc. DCC cleaned the drains but it is not clear whether they have any
intention of putting the promised pipe in.
Severn Trent meeting. All in favour of asking Severn Trent for £20K compensation for the
Grindleford Parish Council minutes April 23
extended road closure and inadequate mitigations.
Community Speedwatch. RWh reported that this will start again now the better weather is
Community Gates. PO’B asked whether the Council had registered for UKSPF funding,
which could be relevant for flood work and village gates inter alia. Clerk volunteered to do
so but working groups of Cllrs would be needed to liaise directly about specific projects.
8. PLANNING MATTERS
NP/DDD/0323/0280 https://portal.peakdistrict.gov.uk Padley Gate, Main Road,
Nether Padley. Proposed works of a single storey rear utility extension and 2 storey
side extension. In support.
NP/DDD/0423/0371 https://portal.peakdistrict.gov.uk/ Stoke Cottage, Main Road,
Grindleford, Installation of 24 Solar Panels. In support. HH did not vote.
Councillors recorded that they were pleased to see this application supporting the
village climate action plan.
10 PLANNING DECISIONS: There were none.
Chq No Date Payee Amount Description
1097 13.4.2023 DALC 325.90 Subs
1098 13.4.2023 GPFA 19 Room hire
1099 13,4.2023 GPFA 228 Room hire for Ukraine
1100 13.4.2023 Carbon Literacy
120 Course fees for clerk
It was pro HH sec PO’B that these accounts be paid.
Budget. The draft end of year budget was accepted, pro EC sec HH. Clerk to contact David
Turner our auditor for end of year accounts.
John Morton – vote of thanks. PO’B proposed an official vote of thanks to John Morton,
who has retired from the Parish Council after many decades of service as a Councillor and
as Chair to the Council. Councillors were unanimous in their profound thanks, personally
and on behalf of the village, for the huge amount he has contributed to Grindleford.
The Council also said goodbye to its current Chair, Bob Wilson, and to Rob Tamlyn. Bob
has been on the parish council for 25 years and Chair for the last five. His contribution has
also been outstanding. Rob Tamlyn has moved from the village and was thanked for four
years are sterling service, and the Council also remembered John Mottershaw who retired
from the Council last autumn.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING – 18 May 2023
As there was no further business the Chair closed the meeting at 8.30 pm.
Clerk to the Council